Sunday, August 19, 2012

Red: Happy 100th birthday, Wong Sum Yeng.




My grandma celebrated her 100 years birthday. One century, and this is no mean feat. Grandma didn't have an easy life in her young days. God has blessed her.

Yesterday, she celebrated her birthday at Kingwood hotel. Many of my cousins, siblings and families went back to Sibu. Unfortunately I didn't. I have just returned from my month long holiday.

According to some Chinese customs, when a person has reached 100, or has 5 generations, when she dies, there would be no tears. It would be celebration. No mourning clothes, but everyone would don in red.

Here's her beautiful cake, 10 tiers, one tier for each decade of her life. Photo by my cousin Bart. Helping her cut the cake is my aunt, Rose Chan. I don't know what my bro Henry is doing there. He must be wanting to taste the cake.

Happy Birthday, Grandma.

http://rubytuesday2.blogspot.co.nz




3 comments:

maria said...

Wow! Happy Birthday to your grandma! Happy RT2.

Mine's here.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Beautiful cake!

Visiting from Ruby Tuesday. Here is my my RUBY post, come by when you have a chance. Your comment means a lot!

joanne said...

Happy B'day to Grandma, and I love what I learned about your traditions! What a cake!