Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Ngopi:







My daughter told me about this eating place where the philosophy is charity. I did two posts on my blogs and Facebook. I went today, with an open mind about this Nyopi whose name is hard to pronounce. I didn't care for the food because I like their philosophy. I love people who do charity.

The water engineer eats quite frequently because the location is near to his office. he says at lunch time, if is packed.

After my meal, mee gorang mak mak style, which was very nice, I went to introduce myself. The waitress Feli, Essy from Zambia, and Janice were very friendly. They were having their lunch and spoke to me. They are all volunteers.

The founder Steve and his wife are from Indonesia. Hence the name Nynopi which is  an invitation to get together, catch up and chat ("ngopi yuk!" 
www.ngopi.co.nz/


Ngopi is truly a social business, in more ways than one. This central city cafe provides a meeting place for everyone from the lawyers and judges of the courts nearby to hungry university students and anyone else who's discovered this haven for morning coffee or sensational Malaysian food.
The big difference is that this eatery is a not-for-profit enterprise staffed by volunteers and any profits generated are redistributed to the two charities Ngopi supports: A21 Campaign, a movement to prevent human trafficking and help recover the victims of it, and Habitat for Humanity, which assists in reducing homelessness.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/viva-magazine/news/article.cfm?c_id=533&objectid=11300864

No comments: